Tuesday, September 23, 2008

voice, and other things

On Monday, I had my first voice class. Nothing too exciting, we did some exercises that involved working on certain consonants. There was definitely a lot of emphasis on having a neutral accent so as to be able to reach the widest audience possible, I think I have a pretty neutral accent so I won't really have to change it much, probably more just work on general speech things.

Minor tidbit, to make a somewhat New Jersey accent, put your tongue on your teeth whenever you make a d/t sound, e.g. say, "I don't like to go to the dentist", and a bit nasally, and there you have it.

In the second acting class we did the repetition in front of the class. Naturally, I was terrible, and needed some coaching. I'm too tense in my upper body, I need to free that up whenever I breathe so I can be more flexible, etc. Fortunately my other class, Movement, will be useful in clearing that up, I hope.

No comments: