Sunday, October 25, 2009

it don't matter

Much of my musical influence has come from my sister, who introduced me probably to the biggest musical icons of the world, such as Michael Jackson and the Beatles. In the early nineties, she bought the Dangerous album. Michael Jackson is one of the few artists who released albums where you could really listen to the whole album and not have to skip tracks cause a track sucked (yes, some purists never skip tracks, but frankly, imo VERY few artists deserve that treatment).

My chronology must be a bit off, because it appears that the album came out in 1991. I'm not sure when my sister brought it into the Kim household, but it might be around the same time as the previous two songs.

The most catchy tune to me of the album was the biggest single, "Black or White". You can listen to it here.

Lyrics:

I took my baby
On a saturday bang
Boy is that girl with you
Yes were one and the same

Now I believe in miracles
And a miracle
Has happened tonight

But, if
Youre thinkin
About my baby
It dont matter if youre
Black or white

They print my message
In the saturday sun
I had to tell them
I aint second to none

And I told about equality
And its true
Either youre wrong
Or youre right

But, if
Youre thinkin
About my baby
It dont matter if youre
Black or white

I am tired of this devil
I am tired of this stuff
I am tired of this business
Sew when the
Going gets rough
I aint scared of
Your brother
I aint scared of no sheets
I aint scare of nobody
Girl when the
Goin gets mean

(l. t. b. rap performance)
Protection
For gangs, clubs
And nations
Causing grief in
Human relations
Its a turf war
On a global scale
Id rather hear both sides
Of the tale
See, its not about races
Just places
Faces
Where your blood
Comes from
Is where your space is
Ive seen the bright
Get duller
Im not going to spend
My life being a color

(michael)
Dont tell me you agree with me
When I saw you kicking dirt in my eye

But, if
Youre thinkin about my baby
It dont matter if youre black or white

I said if
Youre thinkin of
Being my baby
It dont matter if youre black or white

I said if
Youre thinkin of
Being my brother
It dont matter if youre
Black or white

Ooh, ooh
Yea, yea, yea now
Ooh, ooh
Yea, yea, yea now

Its black, its white
Its tough for you
To get by
Its black , its white, whoo

Its black, its white
Its tough for you
To get by
Its black , its white, whoo


My sister got annoyed whenever I reset this song on repeat, but I was addicted to the intro part where Slash melts your face off with the guitar going into the main catchy riff (the version is a video is a lot longer than the one in the actual recording).

I feel like this song brought out the feel goodness of the early 90's. The line "I believe in miracles, and a miracle has happened tonight" I remember resonated with me at the time. I remember I sang this and another song when I was a kid as my first times at a karaoke place in Korea with my parents and other relatives, and remember them loling at my song choice (although MJ is pretty big in Korea, too).

The little trademark sound bites (ow, whoo hoo, shamon, etc.) that Michael interjects into his songs to color them definitely made an impression on me. It's little moments in the song like this where you really can feel the artists connection to the song they're singing through non-verbal cues.


Today's perspective:

The song is still awesome imo, which shows how much staying power Michael Jackson's music has. The overall theme and message of the song doesn't really make me too excited, but whenever I hear the intro to the song I just want to do a little jig down the street.

I have to say though the song does get weak towards the end; the rap in the middle of the song does take away from its quality a bit, which is unfortunate, but by that part of the song I already reset it to start over.

1 comment:

blee said...

why is this called daily dose of justice if the posts are not daily