Tuesday, October 20, 2009

my first song obsession

I hope that in these entries I will be reminded of something awesome or be inspired in someway, so bear with me if they seem rather boring. Or, don't read them. And die. Jay kay.

edit: My sister has notified me that this entry is too emo, proceed at your own cost. These entries will not all be emo, but I'm going through the moments episode by episode, I suppose I might find something about my own self that way.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... Very well, where do I begin?" - Dr. Evil

In my almost 26 years (life's over btw, going from quarter to third life crisis) on this earth, I tried remembering as far back as I could for the song that has had an impact on me. I suppose the earliest I can remember is in my elementary school days, in 1992, when i was but 9 years old. Home Alone 2 had just come out and I got the Talkboy that Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin's character) uses in the movie. Unfortunately, the talkboy is around 2x the size as shown in the movie so you couldn't really fit it into your pocket, so basically I hate you Tiger Electronics (Hasbro). Anyhow, one thing I happened to record on my Talkboy was this song called "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum.

You can listen to it here.

Lyrics:

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a slow torch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
Promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now
I'm in too deep
There's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

CHORUS
Runaway train never going back
Wrong way on a one way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here no there

Can you help me remember how to smile
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded
Life's mystery seems so faded

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

Everything is cut and dry
Day and night, earth and sky
Somehow I just don't believe it

CHORUS

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughin' at the rain
Little out of touch, little insane
Just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train never comin' back
Runaway train tearin' up the track
Runaway train burnin' in my veins
Runaway but it always seems the same


It seems that even as a kid, I had a propensity towards music that was emo in nature. I think what drew me most to this song was probably the catchy chorus and the singalongability. My sister probably went insane as I played this song on repeat for hundreds of times, something I do when I'm obsessed (I watched the Matrix probably around 100+ times and once memorized the dialogue and choreographed fight scenes).

At the end of elementary school and beginning of middle school was also a big transitional time for me, some details I won't get into because, well you know, it'll be all "whine one one why don't I call a wambulance" if i do. But tying into that, a big thing with this song for me was that I could lose myself in the music (the moment you own it you better never let it go go, el oh el tangents) and for a sliver of a moment, not worry about the real world. It seems that theme hasn't changed.

Today's perspective on the song:

The song doesn't really reverberate with me as much as it did back then, but it does have some moments that still ring for me; the last verse is a very nice touch to the end of the song. The visual picture of an insane man laughing at the rain coupled with the quieter dynamics and the tripling of the hard "ah" sound of the verse makes for a pretty potent combination.

What I found interesting was the music video (I didn't have MTV so I watched 0 music videos back in the day, which will be an interesting experience as I go through all of these) while depressing, actually brought most of the runaways back to their parents when they saw the video on TV. I hope to one day create something that changes people's lives as well.

2 comments:

blee said...

dude wasn't 4 non-blondes first? the 'what's goin on' song

gabrielle said...

I liked/like this song a lot too. It's on my iPod. Yeahhh.


Emo kid.