Friday, January 8, 2010

the emo holy grail

towards the end of my senior year a band called dashboard confessional was becoming pretty popular. even during my superemo days, this band was even too emo for my usual enjoyment. when i first went to college, downloading infinite amounts of music on a cable line became all the rage however, so i downloaded their albums.

i have to say though that when one is an emo mood, one can do no better than to gak it up with their first big song (and prob still their best, except maybe "Vindicated", there's only so much you can do artistically as an emo band) "Screaming Infidelities". you can listen to it here. here are the lyrics:



I'm missing your bed, I never sleep.
Avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak
and this bottle of beast is taking me home
I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets
But you're not alone, and you're not discreet
Make sure I know who's taking you home
I'm reading your note over again
There's not a word that I comprehend
except when you sign it,
"I will love you always, and forever."

As for now, I'm gonna hear the saddest songs
and sit alone and wonder how you're making out
but as for me I wish that I was anywhere
with anyone, making out

I'm missing your laugh. How did it break?
And when did your eyes begin to look fake?
I hope you're as happy as you are pretending
I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets.
And I am alone in my defeat.
I wish I knew you were safely at home
I'm missing your bed, I never sleep.
Avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak.
And this bottle of beast is taking me home.

As for now, I'm gonna hear the saddest songs
and sit alone and wonder how you're making out
but as for me I wish that I was anywhere
with anyone, making out

Your hair... It's everywhere.
Screaming Infidelities, and taking it's wear.




like every Chris Carrabba song, this song is about some sort of relationship gone sour. for some reason (perhaps it's because he was an emo pioneer and so this kind of song wasn't overdone when he came out with it) the song works and serves as a good example of something with sincere emotion.

there's vulnerability that he shares of how he deals with the situation that no one ever really admits. most breakup songs are like "omg, you really messed up because i'm all that and he/she doesn't compare yadayada", but this one goes through the real actions and thoughts we have when we go through a breakup from someone who's hurt us.

the power of the song i think is amplified (albeit he does this all the time with all his songs) when he sings the song in a lower register about the stages of pondering that he goes through, taking you through his logical thought process as he tries to work out why things happened the way they do. then as he becomes more involved in the emotions he feels the song carries with him tonally and dynamically until the great finish at the end, which i think is exceptionally well done.

No comments: