Tuesday, January 5, 2010

just to be with you

i suppose there are SOME christian songs that i do like, so i'll devote this entry to one of them.

during my junior year in high school, i went to a praise night that was held in a neighboring town. there was an older guy (who i estimate now probably to be late twenties, he seemed really old though when i was a teenager), who performed a song called "Love Song" by Third Day. i remember him doing all sorts of funky jazzy elements to the song which probably made it even more awesome in my mind, to this day, i don't think any rendition i heard (even my a cappella group in college did it) covered it as well as that first time i heard it.

you can listen to the song here.

here are the lyrics:

I've heard it said that a man would climb a mountain
Just to be with the one he loves
How many times has he broken that promise
It has never been done.
I've never climbed the highest mountain
But I walked the hill of calvary

Just to be with you, I'd do anything
There's no price I would not pay
Just to be with you, I'd give everything
I would give my life away.

I've heard it said that a man would swim the ocean
Just to be with the one he loves
All of those dreams are an empty emotion
It can never be done
I've never swam the deepest ocean
But I walked upon the raging sea


I know that you don't understand
the fullness of My love
How I died upon the cross for your sins
And I know that you don't realize
how much that I gave you
But I promise, I would do it all again.

Just to be with you, I've done everything
There's no price I did not pay
Just to be with you, I gave everything
Yes, I gave my life away.




at first glance, it's not that complicated of a song; a first person narrative of the crucifixion and its implications. but what i like about it is that it actually is also a commentary about love songs in general and how they are filled with empty promises of fulfillment. as i agree with ben folds' philosophy that writing love songs that are genuine and real are very difficult, the song's theme of discrediting authors of banal love songs that are written everyday resonates with me completely.

i also like the emphasis on the idea of the limitations of human relationships, and how no person is capable of loving someone indefinitely and perfectly. perhaps i'm cynical and feel like ultimately everyone has/will fail me in some way at some point, but i'm also cognizant of my own short comings and that it doesn't compare to the source of the infinite.


No comments: